I have two super active little girls at home and keeping them entertained through out the day, does sometime get tricky.
And as a mom, I’m constantly searching for super simple activities, also keeping in mind our tight schedule and budget. We can’t hop into the market every week to grab those harmful colorful dough!? And also since I let the girls occasionally help me in the kitchen. We started making this easy homemade play dough (Play Doh) more often now. It’s super easy to make and fun to play with.
I haven’t used cream of tartar in this recipe which is why the dough may not last for over 4-5 months. But then I wanted to make something that’s simple and I wanted to be able to find all the ingredients off my cupboard!
So here’s what you will need:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (you can use any)
- 1/2 cup salt
- Food colouring
What you need to do:
- In a large bowl mix flour, salt and oil.
- Add desired account of food coloring, depending on the shade of dough you want to make.
- Knead it vigorously for a couple of minutes until all of the stickiness is gone. You may add a few drops of oil if it’s still sticky.
- You will need to make a perfect dough that has just the right consistency. And that’s it! You are done!
And believe me both my girls thoroughly enjoy making it. And every morning they are out of the bed, they run to their play-area to grab their play dough.
I currently store our dough in zip-lock bags but I will fetch some air-tight containers on our next trip to the supermarket. This dough can last for over a month. And I can only think of those at least 30 no-fuss hours a month?!? Which for me I think is totally worth those 10 minutes of hardwork! 😉